Sunday, December 7, 2014

Countdown to Christmas: 18 Days Then Why Am I So Depressed?

So much has happened this last month that I am truly not in the "Holiday Spirit".

Something is just seriously off...but I don't think I'm the only one.

I was recently in downtown New Roads, LA where there is one particular antique shop/art gallery I like to visit. It was close to closing time and the manager was decorating a lamppost outside her store.

I stopped to visit with her and she told me that all the downtown merchants were adopting a lamppost to decorate. I looked up and down the street and noticed she was the only one who had started to decorate. I hope her work inspires the others, but I have a feeling I'm not the only one procrastinating Christmas away.

I've noticed other shops where they just don't seem to have that holiday "bling" like they used to, plus the prices are SOOO HIGH!

It's not the holiday...I love Christmas.  I love everything about it from the religious aspect to secular and pagan rituals to the rampant commercialization. I just can't seem to get a grip on any of it.

Caution PROFANITY in ways only SOUTH PARK could use to enhance the true meaning of Christmas.
CAUTION! Video contains PROFANITY in ways only SOUTH PARK could use to enhance the true meaning of Christmas.
Not that I am a South Park fan, and I make it a point as to NEVER admit that I've seen "Team America: World Police" (twice), but you've got to admit that the creative genius of Trey Parker and Matt Stone has no limits. My husband, son, and I spent most of yesterday morning watching "Book of Mormon" videos on YouTube...but that is a whole 'nother blog!

It's just the rest of "life" that you can't put aside to enjoy the season. Another year is coming to an end and there is still so many things left on my to do list that will never get done.

Sometimes, "getting into the spirit" is so difficult even with the best of my Santa collection on display year round.

My family and I live in the south, so instead of shoveling snow, we trudge through piles of wet leaves and deal with "sweat" on our carports and roofs due to the every dampness of the Louisiana humidity, and the balmy air offers the perfect environment for mildew to grow on everything imaginable surface.

I don't know why we associate "snow" with Santa...but a little crisp air would be nice.

However, where the balmy days only add to my allergies, the cold aggravates my arthritis. I can't win.








No comments:

Post a Comment