Thursday, December 11, 2014

Countdown to Christmas: 14 Days Celebrating the Holidays with Public Schools in the South

I have two jobs that both involve my visiting different schools in different Louisiana parishes.

One thing I have come to notice is that these schools don't worry about what is "politically correct" or "sensitive" to the religious preference of their students. They just flat out enjoy the season.

Sitting outside the office of one particular elementary school was an artificial tree decorated with colored lights and sparking ornaments. Beside the tree were bikes which I assume was an incentive for some sort of fundraiser. Caucasian Santa and Mrs. Claus mechanical dolls poised on a table, loomed over the sign up sheets in their lethargic, hypnotic way.  (You'd have to read my previous post about white Santas and the irony that this was a predominantly non-caucasian school)

Albeit, there was no Creche nor religious symbolism, the spirit of the upcoming "Winter Break" was well depicted.

However, when I entered a high school in another parish this morning, Christmas hymns were being piped over the intercom system and "Hark, The Herald Angels Sing" greeted me when I walked in the door.

I loved it!

Of course, I'm up for celebrating ALL holidays and educating our young people on all religions and customs.  Choosing a preferred religion is a personal decision, but respect is a public responsibility.

So, whether you are for spreading a little holiday cheer in public spaces or vehemently against it, remember the overall effect that is being sought...





No comments:

Post a Comment